Tuesday, June 25, 2013

June 23-24 (Jeff's post)

June 23-24, 2013

Little addendum to the June 22nd blog entry.  Since we had not been out to eat in a while, we decided to treat ourselves to a meal in the town of Ennis.  We went to the Byrnee’s Sports Bar.  Had a good meal and Jerry and I had a beer.  I had a Lewis and Clark Ale and Jerry had a Scottish something.  Little darker.  Other beers we have sampled include Moose Drool and Trout Slayer.  All good.  Of  course we have our share of Fat Tires, Shock Top, and Hallo (?).  The Big Sky Brewery does ok.  Our waitress  was a 17 year veteran of the Air Force.  Just one of the interesting people we have met.  She said it will not be crowded in the restaurant on Saturday because there were three weddings in the town of 800.  On our walk through town we saw a guy carrying a snake skin into a saloon.  Not sure what was going on there.  We went back to RV campsite and hung out until beddy bye time.  RV Park had great facilities and showers again.

Got up early and left about 6:10 today, the 23rd.  Might be our coldest morning.  My hands were so  cold, I couldn’t get both hearing aids in.  Got about 5 miles out of Ennis and Jeff got his first flat tire, not a Fat Tire which I would rather  have had.  I am the novice/princess, and  my two cohorts changed my tire.  I will  have to buy a round for them.  Got back on our way riding into a huge headwind.  Felt like we were peddling in mud.  We continued in spite of it and fortunately, Mr. Sun appeared to make things warm.  If you can imagine riding with  beautiful mountain ranges on either side of us, that’s what we had.  Hard to describe how cool it is.  Our trail then took along this beautiful mountain stream.  Again words cannot do it justice.  We got to a rest stop where the sign said, “Water unsafe—high fluoride levels”.  Jack did not read sign and got some of the water.  But I don’t think he ever drank any of it.  I guess we’ll find out later.  Jerry said that there was a café about nine miles ahead.  He said he was going to take his time and that Jack and I should go ahead.  We did and stopped at the café for coffee and pancakes.  Coffee came and was tasty as usual.  Haven’t had a bad beer or bad cup of coffee yet.  Pancakes came to the table.  I ordered two and Jack ordered one.  Well, King Kong  couldn’t have eaten both of these pancakes.  At least  half to ¾ inches thick and 12 inches in diameter.  The guy at the register said he wishes he had a camera to capture the look on my face when I saw them.  And people who know me can appreciate that.  Anyway, I ate one and took the other with me to eat later. They did have a deal that if you  could eat three of them, they paid for them.  I told them they were lucky.  That if I didn’t have 40 more miles ahead of me, I would accept that challenge.   Anyway, still no Jerry.  We kept on,  beginning to worry about Jerry, but no way to contact him with no cell phone service.  We kept on heading for West Yellowstone where we thought maybe we could get hold of Sue to go back and make sure he was ok.  I’m sure you know how this ended.  We pull up into West Yellowstone and guess who we see standing in line to get coffee at a coffee shop?  The prototypical story of the Tortoise and the Hare.

Sue secured us a campsite in the Madison campground and made us a deeeellicious dinner.  Then we headed out to find ice cream and see some aminals.  We found neither, but we did see several places of hot springs.  They are very numerous in this part of the park.  Back to the campsite and off to bed.  Short ride tomorrow, about 30 miles down the  road to another campsite at Grant.

Monday morning, Jack got up early to ride his bike into town to pick up a package he sent himself.  He had been following it for some  time now .  It was supposed to be at the post office today.  He was going to meet us later.  Jerry and I moved on toward Grant after sleeping to almost 6:30.  Jerry made some oat meal and hot chocolate and off we went.  We met Sue at the café at Old Faithful.  We had coffee, Sue and Jerry had some breakfast,  and I had an ice cream sammich.  Then we  checked out the Yellowstone Lodge which those of you that have seen it know what a landmark it is.  We also were just in time to see Old Faithful do his/her thing.  Just like I remembered back in 1977 when I was here last.   Jerry and I left to head for Grant to meet  Sue.  We crossed the Continental Divide twice on our way.  Go figure.   At the second Divide we witnessed two drive-by shootings.  Not the gun type but the camera  type.   Tourists pulling up to the sign and taking a picture out of the window.

Nice, pretty easy, and most important of all, safe ride today.  Landed in Grant where Sue has secured a campsite.  Big treat tonight—showers, for $3.71. 


Jeff, Jerry, Jack and Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment